CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Big Girl Liv

Congratulations are in order to Olivia. She officially stopped sucking her thumb 3 weeks ago! Who would have thought that a trip to the dentist woud give her the confidence and desire to kick the very strong habit?!? She has been sucking her thumb, always with her blanket (soft, saw ... it had so many names), since a newborn. Her blanket was always the trigger for her thumb sucking, so a couple months ago I started to put it away during the day and just give it to her at bedtime. But then after our Disney trip, old habits started to form again and she ended up with it all the time. That is, until 3 weeks ago. She went in for her first dentist visit and the dentist noticed right away that she was a thumb sucker. He had a little pep talk with her and said that your teeth are your friends and you don't want to do anything to hurt them. He also told her she has such pretty sparkly teeth, which she talked about for days. On our way home she said, "Mommy, I'm not going to tuck anymore". I said, "That's great Liv" but I'm thinking to myself (because she's said this before) "yeah right, we'll see about that when bedtime comes". Well bedtime came, and while it takes a lot longer to get her to sleep, she has been without her blanket and thumb for 3 weeks. My little girl is growing up! Thought you might enjoy some pics of Liv over the years with her blanket and her thumb.

Nothing's better than hiking the mountains of Colorado as long as you have your thumb

Wow, I'd forgotten her "soft" was ever that pink and ... clean!


Chillin' with Grandpa

Relaxing with my friend Morgan

Liv fell asleep like this in Julia's room (faithful blog readers: you may remember this from one of my previous posts!)

RIP Soft - We'll miss you! This post is making me feel a little sad so I'm going to go watch the US Swim teams Freestyle Relay Race that I taped on my DVR last night. That'll lift my spirits. What an exciting event! I was on the edge of my couch watching those incredible swimmers beat the French. After all the French swimmers said about smashing the Americans, it was kind of fun to watch them eat their humble pie at the Medal Ceremony. I can't wait to see Michael Phelps swim the 200m Freestyle tonight! The guy is amazing!

Go Michael!

3 comments:

Kristin said...

awww...it made me kinda sad to read this. She is growing up! You should take "soft" and cut it up into squares or something and make a blanket out of it for her so she can have it when she's older!

marnmic said...

Liv is precious. She is growing up. It's bittersweet when they do this. A joy that they are becoming responsible little people, but sad because you miss the fun "baby" moments.

I don't think I ever truly appreciated the meaning of the word "bittersweet" until I became a parent. :-)

Did you see the men's gymnastics...they held on for the bronze. i was so proud of them!

amy (metz) walker said...

Aw, I can imagine that leaves you with mixed emotions! It's great to see her grow up, I'm sure...but that's also got to be hard stuff.